Best Oral Appliance Devices

Hi,

Could someone please recommend the best alternative among the oral appliances as an alternative to the CPAP machine?

Thanks very much.

Bob

bobbauman@aol.com

My sleep apnea doctor recommended I get a Herbst device. He also recommended a dentist who specializes in dental devices and is registered with Medicare and other insurance companies, so it will be covered by insurance. Do not buy one “over the counter“. They do not work as well and may cause problems with your teeth and jaw. Dentists who specialize in this know what a Herbst device is.

Because it has been more than five years since I had my first sleep study done, I had to take it again. This is part of the requirements for having it done by a dentist, and covered by insurance. My regular dentist said he could do it but I would have to pay for the sleep study and the device because he is not a registered dentist for apnea dental devices.

Thanks very much for your comments Carol. After reviewing options I seem to be leaning towards a dentist to take care of this properly vs. trying to decide which OTC oral appliance might work.

Thanks again,

Bob

I would like to add that my sleep doctor said dental devices work if you have mild to moderate sleep apnea. They’re not effective if you have severe apnea.

Carol

I use a CPAP but I suggest discussing it with your doctor as well as asking around as you did here. You can also check here…
https://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/sleep-apnea-treatment-options/