Great at sleep lab, horrible at home!

Help me please!  I've been using my CPAP for 6 months.  After an accidental diagnosis and a miraculous 7 full of hours sleep at the sleep lab the night of my study to set my pressure (the first full night of sleep in 3 years) I have had horrible sleep and haven't felt rested since.  I left the lab so hopeful and feeling better than I had in years!  Alas it wasn't to be.
 I am still excessively tired during the day.  I have tried multiple masks and found one I like.  I wear it for between 5 and 7 hours a night.  I am currently back to waking between 2-3am and being up for 1-2 hours.

At my appt 3 months in my pulmonologist said it would take some time to repay my sleep debt but I am feeling worse. My next appt is in 2 weeks and it’s been so bad neurologist added Armodafanil for daytime sleepiness.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Does your CPAP machine interface with something like the ResMed MyAir App? That way you can see if your problem is related to number of hours of sleep, mask seal, events per hour, or the number of times you take your mask off. I’m thinking that your problem is more related to mask seal, which is measured as Leaks (L/min). Your sleep doctor can also help you.

Great suggestion. Good luck with this and let us know how it worked out if you don’t mind.

Sorry, it didn’t post everything. I have tried several masks, and I’m finding I have a reaction to either the mask or headgear. I have severe scalp irritation and hair loss, enough to warrant a dermatologist visit. My app shows all my numbers are good. I have my 6 month follow up the first week of April so hoping the pulmonologist will have answers.

Ask your Dr. if you could try the nose buds instead of the mask. Maybe that would work better for you.

I was thinking the same thing. Here’s some basic information: https://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/sleep-apnea-treatment-options/

Hi winklle.
Well I hope you got the answers you wanted from your pulmonologist by now, I would agree with you that your strap would be irritating your scalp if it rubs on you during the night, and hope you have that sorted now.
If your still having trouble waking after 2/3 hours do not worry that can be normal at the start of your experience with your machine, it takes time for your doctor to get and read your results, so again I hope you got the results you wanted, if not you could be having trouble with your exhale this has happened to me a great deal in the past, and your machine should have the facility to control the exhale if so make sure you have that turned on it makes a big difference to your sleep at night. anyway let us know how you have got on.

Well, so far still having the same issue. I have tried several different masks and my doctor really doesn’t have any suggestions other than keep trying. I’m currently seeking other help such as hormone therapy to see if that is an issue. I’m at a loss.

Hi winklle.
If you are worried about getting leaks from your mask then It does not make any difference which mask you try, you are going to get leaks, save your money, but if you are a side sleeper, the Mirage Quattro Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear would be worth looking at as you can alter your fitting at the forehead.

If you have the correct pressure setting for yourself and you are using the humidifier facility then this mask will work for you, but to reduce any more leaks that you may get then I still think you need to have the ex-hale checked out that stops most of the leaks and your mask will become more comfortable to have on your face.

You have only been on machine some six months as you say, so it is going to take time, and you will get a lot of frustrating times, you have to go with it I am afraid, but what will help your sleep doctor would be if you kept a log of each nights events, you can write down how you have felt and what you have done etc.
just be honest as it will match with your data readings, so you doctor will know then how to help you.

anyway good luck.

Excellent suggestion.